Today is my 47th birthday. I’d really rather not spend it sitting here writing a blog about my life with sarcoidosis. I want to celebrate life today and that’s what I am going to do but, before I do that in honor of my birthday and sarcoidosis awareness month, I will share forty seven things I have learned since being diagnosed with sarcoidosis: (In no particular order)
- Live every day like it’s your last
2. Doctors don’t know everything!
3. When you’re blue…write a gratitude list…it always helps change your perspective.
4. Stop doing things you don’t like doing.
5. Eating a clean diet does make you feel better.
6. Regular exercise actually helps fight fatigue.
7. Having a dog is great company on long lonely sick days.
8. The internet can be a magic place for human connection with others in the same boat.
9. Being vegan is awesome!
10. Ultimately we are all alone in the end.
11. Taking time to rest is important.
12. Pushing yourself is a must.
13. Don’t ever give up even when it’s bleak.
14. It always gets better.
15. Being in nature is better than medicine.
16. Taking up hobbies helps fill the time and is good for the brain.
17. You don’t need to explain yourself to other people.
18. Looking your best will help you feel better.
19. It’s okay to get mad but it’s not okay to stay angry.
20. The loss you feel from living with a chronic disease is real.
21. Happiness is a choice.
22. Don’t use your disease as excuse.
23. You can break your sugar addition.
24. Remove stress from your life.
25. Set boundaries that are good for you.
26. Always have goals.
27. If you are having trouble reaching your goals, change your approach.
28. Cry sometimes. It’s good for you.
29. Laugh every day.
30. Have a sense of humor about yourself.
31. Don’t expect other people to understand what your disease puts you through.
32. Life is short.
33. Don’t let sarcoidosis define you. You are more than your disease.
34. If you’re always right…you won’t be happy.
35. It’s okay that you world got smaller.
36. Tell the ones you love how you feel about them.
37. Be nice…you never know what another person is going through.
38. Life is beautiful.
39. Cooking healthy food can be fun.
40. Don’t give up on a cure!
41. Keep your doctor appointments even when you don’t want to go.
42. Other people will give you advice you didn’t ask for and don’t need.
43. In every difficult situation, look for the lesson.
44. Be present.
45. Have fun with your brain fog.
46. Don’t live in the past.
47. Life is what you make it.