I like this soup. It’s easy to make and because it has cabbage, it’s filling. I usually make it with a green side salad and call it dinner. Quick and easy w/ minimal clean up!
- ½ cup vegetable broth for sautéing plus 2-4 cups for soup
- 1 small head of cabbage or ½ head large cabbage, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 15 ounce cartons of cooked chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups of diced tomatoes, fresh or canned – I used canned…it’s easier when you’re in a hurry!
- Fresh chopped basil for garnish (optional) – although I highly recommend it!
- In a large soup pot, heat the ½ cup of vegetable broth. Add the dried basil, salt and pepper. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft and translucent about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, cabbage and cooked chickpeas. Cover with vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked. Add more vegetable broth if needed. Taste for seasoning. Add more salt, pepper or dried basil if needed.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh basil or parsley.