- 1 large yellow onion, diced (2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced, fresh zucchini (from about 2 small)
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch segments
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz) carton unsalted or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed (aka garbanzo beans)
- 2 (heaping) cups chopped fresh kale, thick ribs removed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for garnish (omit or use vegan parmesan if making vegan)
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, carrots and celery and saute about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in zucchini, green beans, red bell pepper and saute 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add in vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, water, parsley, rosemary, thyme, granulated sugar, season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow soup to gently boil, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Add in dry quinoa then cover and cook 15 – 20 minutes longer.
- Add cannellini beans, chick peas, kale and lemon juice and cook, uncovered, until kale has wilted, about 5 minutes. Serve warm garnished with parmesan cheese.