What You Need:
- 1 Avocado – or more depending on how much avocado you like…I used 3
- ¼ Cup of Basil Leaves (a small bunch)
- 1 Clove Garlic – again…depends…I LOVE garlic so I used 2
- 2 teaspoons Lime Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- Several Grinds of Pepper
- 1 Cucumber – depends on size of cucumber and how much you want to make
- Smoked or Sweet Paprika for Garnish
How To Prepare:
- Toss all the ingredients (except the cucumber and paprika) into a food processor or blender. Or if you would like to do it by hand, finely mince the garlic and basil, and mash all the ingredients together with a fork until smooth and creamy.
- Use a mandoline or potato peeler to cut long thin strips from the cucumber.
- Take a cucumber strip and spread a thin coat of the avocado mixture along the length of the cucumber. A little goes a long way! Make sure to get some avocado all the way to the end, so it will stick the roll together.
- Roll it up! No toothpicks needed. Do the same with the rest of your cucumber strips. Sprinkle with a little paprika and serve right away.
- Cucumber is watery and softens quickly, so if you plan on bringing these to a party, prepare the avocado spread that morning, and store in an air tight container. Bring a whole cucumber and potato peeler and assemble at the party.
NOTE: These are okay to eat the next day but they don’t look so good because the avocado turns brownish and the cucumbers are mushy…so it’s best to eat them all the same day.
We actually had these as the main dish with a fruit salad and green salad on the side…it was nice on a hot day to NOT turn on the oven or use the stovetop.