Okay, I made this earlier this week and it was really tasty. We really enjoyed it!
Here’s what you need:
- I Cup Brown Rice – cook per package instructions (You can use any rice you want…I prefer brown rice to all others) – rule of thumb with rice….one cup rice to two cups water
- Olive Oil…about three teaspoons…I never measure
- I Large Onion – diced – I like to use sweet yellow onions for a nice flavor
- 1 Large Red pepper – you could probably use whatever type of pepper you want but I like the flavor of red and it adds a nice color
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed – or more if you like…I like more!
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I like to use no added sodium)
- 3 cups diced zucchini
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Fresh basil chopped – as much you like…I usually use about 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper to your taste
- 2 15 oz cans cannelini beans – drained
- 1 6 or 8 oz can of tomato paste
How To Prepare:
- Cook rice per package instructions
- Heat oil in a separate medium saucepan over medium heat
- Stir in onion, red bell pepper, and garlic, and cook until tender
- Mix in tomatoes and zucchini
- Season with oregano, salt, and pepper
- Stir in tomato paste
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir cannellini beans and fresh basil into the tomato and zucchini mixture, and continue cooking about 10 minutes
Serve over the cooked rice.
Add a little shredded cheese if you’d like and if you’re a vegan like I am you can use a vegan substitute cheese.