Okay, this recipe requires a slow cooker and is actually a bit of a spin on regular baked beans.
What you need:
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans (or 3 15-ounce cans, drained and rinsed – I use these most of the time…it’s just easier – you can get them canned with pork flavor…of course I don’t do that…I get the plain low sodium ones)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil – (give or take…I’ usually use a little more)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (about half of a thumb-sized piece)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I like sea salt)
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk (I use the light coconut milk because it has a lot less fat and actually gives it pretty much the same flavor)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
How to prepare it:
- Add beans to Crock Pot.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Stir in the ginger, curry powder, cumin, crushed red peppers, and salt.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the coconut milk, tomato paste, and brown sugar until tomato paste is evenly distributed. Pour over beans and toss gently until beans are coated.
- Cook on low 8 – 10 hours.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired.
A few notes: You can add sliced mushrooms to this if you like them. I will sometimes do this when I have mushrooms that I need to use for something. They add a little more substance to the dish and almost make it a main dish when you add rice to it.
This isn’t my recipe. I like to give credit where credit is due but I just can’t remember where I found this one. All I know is that it is tasty!
I like to eat this as a main dish with a side salad or veggie