This was a tasty dinner the other night!
- Large Sweet Potatoes (as many as you want to stuff – 2 was more than enough for my husband and I…I could only eat one half of one of them)
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Fresh spinach (at least 3 packed cups for 2 potatoes – you’ll need more for more potatoes)
- Large Sweet Onion – diced (More if you make more than 2 potatoes)
- Garlic – minced (as much as you like…I happen to love garlic so I used 3 cloves for 2 large potatoes)
- Dried cranberries
- Walnut pieces
- Shredded cheese (Vegans can either use no cheese or a substitute like “Go Veggie”)
How To Make:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Clean the skin of the sweet potatoes and then butter them with coconut oil
- Poke some holes in the potatoes
- Bake them for about an hour – maybe a little longer depending the reliability of your oven.
- When there is about ten minutes left for the potatoes to bake get out a frying pan
- Put some olive oil in the pan
- Put the diced onions in the pan and heat on medium high for a few minutes – until they start soften
- Add the garlic and stir together
- Add the spinach and heat all together until the spinach wilts
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and pray they are actually done (Those suckers can take longer than you think!)
- Once the potatoes are cooked slice them open and mash the insides with a fork
- Add a layer of the shredded cheese (the vegan cheese works nicely too)
- Put a scoop full of the spinach mixture on the open faced potato
- Add crushed walnuts and dried cranberries
- Repeat with remaining potatoes
These are yummy, easy to make and filling. You can add a side salad to make it a complete meal.
The fun thing about stuffing sweet potatoes is that you can use just about anything. I’ve used red peppers, broccoli and mushrooms. I’ve used chickpeas and red kidney beans with onions and garlic. So if you’re not a fan of spinach…try something else.
Just remember to limit processed foods in your diet and find ways to add plenty of fresh veggies…they are tasty and oh so good for you!